Sunday, February 18, 2024

Updated Personal Song of the Year List, 1964 to Now

As part of my cross-reference project on this blog, I have below listed my favorite songs of the year from 1964, when I was seven turning eight, up to last year's selection.  For the most part...until 2008...I could just turn on my radio during the year in question and hear my favorites.  After that, I tended to be disillusioned with the supposed talent being pushed on the airwaves and began to use the Internet much more to find "my" music.  So artists like Regina Spektor, Sufjan Stevens, Kasabian, Kerani and Gorillaz, rarely if ever played in our traditional broadcast radio medium, rose in my estimation to premier acts while I basically ignored the "big names" being thrown at me: frankly, I think their music kind of sucks...sorry, Adele, Taylor Swift, Usher, Post Malone, Bruno Mars, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Ed Sheeran, etcetera, etcetera.  Doesn't mean you can't like them...to each their own, I say, and my dislike of their music doesn't mean I don't appreciate them as stage performers, which I do.  In any event, I'm using this date on my blog as another cross-reference anchor, on which in future times...starting in December of this year) I'll be extending the list. With this one...in the spirit of cross-referencing...if you click on the year at the start of each row, that will take you to my earlier blog article highlighting it, revealing more songs I liked. Anyway, here goes, here are my favorite songs as I lived through each year...

1964 Twist and Shout…..The Beatles
1965 I Can’t Explain…..The Who
1966 Time Won’t Let  Me…..The Outsiders
1967 All You Need Is Love…..The Beatles
1968 America…..Keith Emerson & The Nice
1969 Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In…..The Fifth Dimension
1970 Little Green Bag…..George Baker Selection
1971 I’ve Seen All Good People…..Yes
1972 Layla…..Derek and the Dominoes
1973 Hummingbird…..Seals and Crofts
1974 Number Nine Dream…..John Lennon
1975 Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding…..Elton John
1976 Livin’ Thing…..Electric Light Orchestra
1977 Song for America…..Kansas
1978 Love is Like Oxygen…..The Sweet
1979 What a Fool Believes…..The Doobie Brothers
1980 Another One Bites the Dust…..Queen
1981 Bette Davis Eyes…..Kim Carnes
1982 Abacab….Genesis
1983 In a Big Country…..Big Country
1984 Leave It…..Yes
1985 Everybody Wants to Rule the World…..Tears For Fears
1986 Live to Tell…..Madonna
1987 Luka…..Suzanne Vega
1988 What Have I Done to Deserve This…..Pet Shop Boys/Dusty Springfield
1989 Handle With Care…..Traveling Wilburys
1990 Blue Sky Mine…..Midnight Oil
1991 When the Levee Breaks (from 1971).….Led Zeppelin
1992 Dazed and Confused (from 1968).….Led Zeppelin
1993 Close to the Edge (from 1973).….Yes
1994 Let Me In…..REM
1995 My Wave…..Soundgarden
1996 Again…..Alice In Chains
1997 Naked Eye…..Luscious Jackson
1998 Fly Away…..Lenny Kravitz
1999 Scar Tissue…..Red Hot Chili Peppers
2000 Lord of the Boards…..Guano Apes
2001 Only Time…..Enya
2002 Here to Stay…..Korn
2003 There There…..Radiohead
2004 Look What You’ve Done…..Jet
2005 Soul Meets Body…..Death Cab For Cutie
2006 Vicarious…..Tool
2007 Starlight…..Muse
2008 Time to Pretend…..MGMT

2009 Casimir Pulaski Day.....Sufjan Stevens
2010 Us....Regina Spektor
2011 To Binge.....Gorillaz
2012 Firewood.....Regina Spektor
2013 Switchblade Smiles.....Kasabian
2014 Something From Nothing.....Foo Fighters
2015 Treat.....Kasabian
2016 Blackstar.....David Bowie
2017 Drive...Twenty One Pilots
2018 Lazy Eye...Silversun Pickups
2019 Saw Lightning...Beck
2020 The Ascension...Sufjan Stevens
2021 Lady's Grace...Kerani
2022 Spacetime Fairytale...Regina Spektor
2023 Oil...Gorillaz

2 comments:

  1. Reading this list sure brings those songs back into my head. I really hated that song Luka because at the time I was in a very abusive marriage so the lyrics just struck too close to home for my liking. As I worked my way through the process of extricating myself from that situation I became obsessed with Elton John's Too Low For Zero album and especially the I'm Still Standing track. It really helped me get through those times. And happily, by 1989 I was divorced and working at the post office and living a wonderfully humdrum life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I sometimes bemoan the times we're living in now, one very positive thing is the easy availability of past music on the Internet...I love it! And yes, I too associate personal events in my life with various songs, for better or for worse.

    ReplyDelete