Monday, December 28, 2020

My Personal Top Favorite Songs of 2020

The below list of my top favorite songs of 2020 bears a little explaining.  First of all...with the notable exception of Radiohead guitarist Ed O'Brien's brilliant singles release Shangri-La (under the name EOB), I heard no actual 2020 releases through the normal means of broadcast radio or music channels.  The rest of my list is split between tracks from Sufjan Stevens' wonderful 2020 album The Ascension and various songs I've become attached to as I have been exploring the late Prince's vast collection of albums.  With each title I have indicated the artist, followed by the song's album...and with Prince, the year of that album's release.  With Prince's Black Album, it was originally recorded and slated for release in 1987 but he had second thoughts and stopped it...it later was released in 1994 on a limited basis.  As for the #2 entry, it's actually two successive tracks on Stevens' album that naturally run together as one song...

1 THE ASCENSION...Sufjan Stevens (The Ascension)
2 DEATH STAR/GOODBYE TO ALL THAT...Sufjan Stevens (The Ascension)
3 ALPHABET STREET...Prince (Lovesexy, 1988)
4 CINDY C...Prince (The Black Album, 1967, 1994)
5 LANDSLIDE...Sufjan Stevens (The Ascension)
6 MOUNTAINS...Prince (Parade, 1986)
7 SHANGRI-LA...EOB (Earth)
8 POSITIVITY...Prince (Lovesexy, 1988)
9 LE GRIND...Prince (The Black Album, 1987, 1994)
10 AMERICA...Prince (Around the World in a Day, 1985)
11 URSA MAJOR...Sufjan Stevens (The Ascension)
12 HOUSEQUAKE...Prince (Sign o' the Times, 1987)
13 POP LIFE...Prince (Around the World in a Day, 1985)
14 LOOSE!...Prince (Come, 1994)
15 CINNAMON GIRL...Prince (Musicology, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment