During 2005, I was totally immersed, musically speaking, in listening to independent/alternative rock on 100.5 WHHZ “The Buzz””. And that’s where, with very few exceptions, all of the songs on this list come from! Oh, by the way, this (and future) lists are based on my favorites as I lived through each year back then, and not on how I feel about the songs now. The further back in time I go, the more difference this distinction will make. Here are my favorites from 2005:
Ocean Breathes Salty (Modest Mouse)
The End Has No End (Strokes)
Bam Thwok (Pixies)
Walk Idiot Walk (Hives)
Breakin’ (The Music)
Walking With a Ghost (Tegan and Sara)
All Because of You (U2)
Right Right Now Now (Beastie Boys)
Finding Out True Love is Blind (Louis IV)
New Slang (The Shins)
Chocolate (Snow Patrol)
Since You’ve Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson)
Holiday (Green Day)
Sitting Waiting Wishing (Jack Johnson)
Combat Baby (Metric)
Spitting Games (Snow Patrol)
E-Pro (Beck)
Galvanize (Chemical Brothers)
TKO (Le Tigre)
An Honest Mistake (The Bravery)
Evil (Interpol)
Good is Good (Sheryl Crow)
Speed of Sound (Coldplay)
Two Timing Touch & Broken Bones (Hives)
Bleed Like Me (Garbage)
Girl (Beck)
Banquet (Block Party)
Bandages (Hot Hot Heat)
Love in a Trash Can (Raveonettes)
LSF (Lost Souls Forever) (Kasabian)
Soul Meets Body (Deathcab for Cutie)
Bang Theory (World Leader Pretend)
The Engine Driver (Decembrists)
Only (Nine Inch Nails)
Reptilia (Strokes)
My favorite of the bunch is Soul Meets Body by Deathcab for Cutie. Close behind it, though, is the sister act Tegan and Sara’s inspired Walking With a Ghost and Snow Patrol’s throbbing Chocolate. Kasabian contributed to my favorites with their cryptic LSF (see their video for it; it goes well with the song). Nine Inch Nails has an entry as well with their overtly angry, covertly “self-improvement” (at least the way I interpret it) song Only. Rounding out my “favorites of my favorites” for 2005 are two great ones by the Strokes: The End Has No End and Reptilia (which has quite possibly the best “performance” video I’ve seen to date)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment