Thursday, December 29, 2016

My Top Ten Favorite Songs of 2016

For me, music in 2016 was marked by the sad passing of David Bowie in January immediately following the release of his final album Blackstar, and my subsequent exploration into his catalog of works spanning nearly half a century.  Later on in the year Radiohead and Regina Spektor, two of my traditionally favorite acts, released their own new albums as well: A Moon Shaped Pool and Remember Us to Life, respectively...both very worthwhile experiences, containing a treasure of good listening.  Just a few weeks ago I discovered another artist, PJ Harvey, who also released an album this year, The Hope Six Demolition Project, to add to her previous eight...I'm starting to look into those other albums as well. If you ask me what my favorite song of the bunch is this very minute on December 29th, it's that #2 song of hers listed below, a real rocker.  Regina contributes two beautiful ballads to the list, Bowie's Looking for Satellites is the only techno/hard-rock/spaced-out waltz in existence to my knowledge, and his Blackstar is...well, it is what it is, I can say no more.  So this list is dominated by these four excellent acts, with only one entry (#9) being a song I picked up off the radio.  Knowing myself as I do, I'll likely hear some more 2016 songs on the radio in 2017 and assign them to that year...I've done this in the past.  Well, without further ado, here's my top ten list of personal favorite songs of 2016:

1 BLACKSTAR            David Bowie [Blackstar]
2 THE WHEEL             PJ Harvey [The Hope Six Demolition Project]
3 THE LIGHT               Regina Spektor [Remember Us to Life]
4 LOOKING FOR SATELLITES   David Bowie [Earthling, from 1997]
5 THE VISIT                 Regina Spektor [Remember Us to Life]
6 BURN THE WITCH  Radiohead [A Moon Shaped Pool]
7 TIS' A PITY...            David Bowie [Blackstar]
8 THE ORANGE MONKEY   PJ Harvey [The Hope Six Demolition Project]
9 TAKE IT ALL BACK    Judah and the Lion [singles release, album unknown]
10 DAYS                      David Bowie [Reality, from 2003]

Honorable Mention:
From David Bowie: Aladdin Sane, Queen Bitch, Oh You Pretty Things, The Last Thing You Should Do, 5:15 Angels Have Gone
From PJ Harvey: Good Fortune, At the Memorials to Vietnam and Lincoln
From Radiohead: Decks Dark, Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
From Regina Spektor: Small Bill$, Tornadoland, Obsolete

2016 was a good year for music...maybe I'll listen more to the radio in 2017...