Almost all of my favorite songs that I listened to in 1995 were played on 103.7-WRUF “Rock 104”. Like 1996, 1995 was a great year to listen to rock on the radio. But something else distracted me: I bought a copy of Soundgarden’s masterpiece Superunknown, which had actually come out in 1994. I got to like every track on it and listened to it many times. In fact, my top favorite song of 1995, My Wave, is the second track on Superunknown. Musically and lyrically, this songs still stands out as a personal favorite. Here now is the list of my favorites from 1995, as I lived through it:
More Human Than Human (White Zombie)
As I Lay Me Down (Sophie B. Hawkins)
Breakfast At Tiffany's (Deep Blue Something)
Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins)
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
Fantasy (Mariah Carey)
Geek Stink Breath (Green Day)
Hand In My Pocket (Alanis Morisette)
For Those About To Rock (A.C.-D.C.)
I Kissed A Girl (Jill Sobule)
Immortality (Pearl Jam)
In The Meantime (Spacehog)
Lump (Presidents of the U.S.A.)
My Friends (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Natural One (Folk Implosion)
One Of Us (Joan Osborne)
Possum Kingdom (Toadies)
Runaway (Janet Jackson)
Tomorrow (Silverchair)
Wonder (Natalie Merchant)
Wonderwall (Oasis)
You Oughta Know (Alanis Morisette)
December (Collective Soul)
Where The River Flows (Collective Soul)
Gel (Collective Soul)
Rain King (Counting Crows)
A Murder Of One (Counting Crows)
The Best Of What's Still Around (Dave Matthews Band)
Satellite (Dave Matthews Band)
Ants Marching (Dave Matthews Band)
Can't Cry Anymore (Sheryl Crow)
Let Me Drown (Soundgarden)
My Wave (Soundgarden)
Mailman (Soundgarden)
Superunknown (Soundgarden)
Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden)
Spoonman (Soundgarden)
The Day I Tried To Live (Soundgarden)
Fresh Tendrils (Soundgarden)
Dignity (Bob Dylan)
Not For You (Pearl Jam)
Corduroy (Pearl Jam)
Pearl Jams’s ode to a teacher, Corduroy, resonated with me. The Red Hot Chili Peppers came out with a unusually sad, mellow piece titled My Friends. Oasis, whom many compared to the Beatles, but sounded to me like the Zombies, brought into the musical scene their cello-enriched Wonderwall. Dave Matthews and his Band hit the big time in 1995, producing several hits, my favorites among them being Satellite and Ants Marching. Collective Soul had one of my most-liked songs of theirs this year with their relentless Where the River Flows. Bob Dylan surprised me with his touching comeback song Dignity. Mariah Carey sampled the old tune Genius of Love (by the Tom Tom Club) and came out with what I feel is her best song ever, Fantasy. I suppose that the aforementioned Chili Peppers song My Friend wins the tearjerker of the year award, but Soundgarden’s The Day I Tried to Live was pretty emotional as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment