Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Favorite Songs of 2010: #1

#1: Us by Regina Spektor

I can't remember exactly when or where I first heard anything by Regina Spektor: it was some time early last year and on either my TV's adult alternative music channel or AOL Radio indie-rock (the most likely of the two). But once I had discovered her, I never looked back and quickly obtained all five of her studio albums. Her third, titled Soviet Kitsch (2004), contains my favorite song of 2010: Us. This track stands out from the other songs on that album, itself still overall a pretty good work. Us is an anthem with a cryptic meaning: Regina seems to be speaking of fleeting fame, scapegoating, and struggling in a world of a "den of thieves". Although the lyrics are interesting, it is the exciting musical mood, complete with a complex instrumental arrangement, that won it over for me. Us is anthemic, to be sure: I just don't quite understand the message! But I'm still trying...

I understand that Regina Spektor's next album will be from her recent London concert. I don't know about any new studio album in the works, though. Take your time, Regina, I have plenty of your stuff already to listen to! And it never grows old, either.

And here's a recap of my favorites from 2020 (click on title to read articles for #2-15):

1 US by Regina Spektor
3 MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES by Regina Spektor
4 RECKONER by Radiohead
5 MORNING BELL by Radiohead
6 FAUST ARP by Radiohead
7 I MIGHT BE WRONG by Radiohead
8 IN LIMBO by Radiohead
9 20 YEARS OF SNOW by Regina Spektor
10 GO TO SLEEP by Radiohead
11 SAIL TO THE MOON by Radiohead
12 BETTER by Regina Spektor
13 ARNIKA by Sufjan Stevens
14 I'M A PILOT by Fanfarlo
15 FOLDING CHAIR by Regina Spektor

No comments:

Post a Comment