As we're closing in on the end of 2015, it's time once again for me to review my favorite songs of the year. Since I tend to focus my music listening to independent/alternative rock, it should be no surprise that my list consists completely of that genre. 2015 was a good year, musically speaking, with many songs out that I liked to listen to. My sources for listening were either new albums of favorite musical acts that I acquired or my local alt-rock radio station, 100.5/WHHZ "The Buzz". Among the albums I enjoyed in 2015 were Kasabian's 48:13 (the title based on how long the album is), Sufjan Stevens's Carrie and Lowell (largely about his late parents), and Spoon's latest, They Want My Soul. The best of the lot, in my opinion, is the emotionally gut-wrenching Carrie and Lowell, which, as I have said before, merits a Grammy. Kasabian is a British band that recalls the brashness and musical talent of older groups like The Who and the Rolling Stones. Spoon is a great Texas-based alternative rock band...you may be familiar with their first hit from many years ago: I Turn My Camera On. That song Dreams by Beck...I like it a lot (it's a single released in advance of his upcoming new album), but it sounds an awful lot like MGMT's 2008 song Electric Feel in some places. And Awolnation and the Cold War Kids are two bands I'm going to be keeping my eye on next year. Well, without further ado, here's the list of my favorite songs of 2015, with the artist mentioned after each title...
1 TREAT...Kasabian
2 Hollow Moon...Awolnation
3 First...Cold War Kids
4 I Should Have Known Better...Sufjan Stevens
5 Death With Dignity...Sufjan Stevens
6 Rainy Taxi...Spoon
7 Dreams...Beck
8 Fourth of July...Sufjan Stevens
9 Blue Bucket of Gold...Sufjan Stevens
10 Agora...Bear Hands
11 Renegades...X Ambassadors
12 Cigarette Daydreams...Cage the Elephant
13 Mess is Mine...Vance Joy
14 Forgot My Broken Heart...Chris Cornell
15 Ex's and Oh's...Elle King
16 My Type...Saint Motel