Today at year's end, I'm taking a break from my weekly Friday quotes feature to list my top ten favorite songs of 2022. This year I derived most of my favorites from 2022 album releases by Regina Spektor (Home, Before and After), The Smile (A Light for Attracting Attention) with Radiohead members Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood, Spoon (Lucifer on the Sofa), Arcade Fire (We) and Kasabian (The Alchemist's Euphoria). I also liked listening to alternative rock band Metric's 2014 album Pagans in Vegas as well as pianist composer Ludovico Eunaldi's 2015 piece titled Night, from his Elements album. The songs below all come from those albums...there's a lot of good material on them besides what I have listed below. With each top ten song I've included a brief commentary...they're all very good. It's interesting that I heard none of these songs and their albums in the first half of 2022...it all began in July when Spektor released her long-awaited new album...
1 SPACETIME FAIRYTALE---Regina Spektor...nearly 9 minutes long, a dreamy song that actually teaches you astrophysics (well, a little anyway)!
2 LOVEOLOGY---Regina Spektor...quite an accomplishment to elicit both tears and laughter within the same song.
3 THE OPPOSITE---The Smile...brilliant jazzy rock jam, every instrument spotlighted, along with Yorke's trademark voice.
4 THE AGE OF ANXIETY II (RABBIT HOLE)---Arcade Fire...simple lyrics, powerful instrumentals, 7 minutes long.
5 THE FACE, PART I---Metric...chiefly instrumental, this is a great wake up song, forceful and positive.
6 WILD---Spoon...beat resembles Safety Dance from the 80's, lyrics are inspiring.
7 THE SAME---The Smile...spooky, mysterious opening track on album with a universal message.
8 RAINDROPS---Regina Spektor...a sweet love song I'd like to learn to play on the piano.
9 FORTUNES---Metric...Emily Haines and her amazing voice take over this somewhat cynical song.
10 HELD-Spoon...one of the best opening album tracks, a pounding beat, guitar riffs everywhere and energizing message.
Honorable Mention:
Regina Spektor: Coin
The Smile: A Hairdryer, Waving a White Flag
Spoon: On the Radio
Metric: Cascades
Kasabian: Scriptvre, Rocket Fuel
Ludovico Eunaldi: Night
No comments:
Post a Comment