Thursday, April 24, 2008

Favorite Songs of 1977

Of all the years that I have reviewed or will review, 1977 has the sad distinction of being the worst one for me musically! There were only two really super-good songs from this year and one of them actually came out earlier! But I’ll still mention a few of the ones that I “moderately” liked. Billy Joel came out with his The Stranger album and with it, two good singles: Movin’ Out and Just the Way You Are. Fleetwood Mac’s Don’t Stop was a positive song that had nothing to do yet with Bill Clinton. Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta teamed up to perform the catchy You’re the One That I Want from Grease. Rose Royce had a good hit with Car Wash, the theme song for the same-titled movie. Manfred Mann’s Earth Band completely transformed a Bruce Springsteen song, Blinded By the Light, with a little help from Chopsticks. K.C. and the Sunshine Band continued their disco stardom in ‘77 when they produce something I actually liked: I’m Your Boogie Man. Stevie Wonder’s Sir Duke, his tribute to the jazz great Duke Ellington, was one of his best ever. Boz Scaggs also peaked with Lido Shuffle. One of my favorite Eagles songs, the melancholy New Kid in Town, came out in 1977. How Deep Is Your Love by the Bee Gees, despite being severely overplayed, still was a pleasant enough tune to sit through. As was Debbie Boone’s blockbuster hit You Light Up My Life. If I were to give a #3 favorite song of 1977 award out, it would probably go to Rita Coolidge for We’re All Alone. Dave Mason sang his heart out with his beautiful We Just Disagree, my #2 favorite song from that song-forsaken year. The best song (to me)? On my local album-rock station, one song from earlier that received a lot of air play in '77 was Song for America by Kansas. It was an epic sort of track that had a very strong classical flavor to it. And it impressed me enough to make it my favorite song from 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment