Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Favorite Songs of 2012

Well, 2012 is ending and I suppose it's time for me to list my favorite songs of the year.  You may notice, however, that few of the songs listed are current: these are songs that I enjoyed listening to in 2012, not those that received radio play or promotion.  As a matter of fact, I have deliberately shunned radio music, as it all pretty much sucks.  So those great musical celebrities I see on TV that I'm supposed to be interested in following...well, most of their "monster" hits I've never heard!  And I don't care to hear them, either...

My focus of musical interest in 2012 was pretty much restricted to five acts: the now defunct Gorillaz, Beck (who hasn't released anything new in five years), Linkin Park, Regina Spektor, and Kasabian.  Of these Regina and Kasabian have the most recent releases with songs on my list.  My current favorite act to listen to is Kasabian, an England alternative rock band that has released four albums so far.  I plan to list all of these songs in a future article, ranked from best to least liked. 

Here's my list of personal favorites spanning 2012:

1 Firewood by Regina Spektor
2 Fire by Kasabian
3 Open by Regina Spektor
4 Me Plus One by Kasabian
5 Blackout by Linkin Park
6 Test Transmission by Kasabian
7 Think I'm In Love by Beck
8 Novacane by Beck
9 Secret Alphabets by Kasabian
10 Days Are Forgotten by Kasabian
11 "Messing" With My Head by Beck (euphemistically retitled by me)
12 Sun Rise Light Flies by Kasabian
13 Pay No Mind by Beck
14 Dead Melodies by Beck
15 Wretches and Kings by Linkin Park
16 Timebomb by Beck
17 Reason is Treason by Kasabian
18 I Hear Voices by Kasabian
19 To Binge by Gorillaz
20 Small Town Moon by Regina Spektor
21 L.S.F. by Kasabian
22 Motorcade by Beck
23 Youthless by Beck
24 Veliceraptor! by Kasabian
25 Beercan by Beck
26 Lost Cause by Beck
27 Butcher Blues by Kasabian
28 Empire by Kasabian
29 Jackass by Beck
30 Stuntman by Kasabian

And were I to name an Album of the Year, I'd have to go with Regina Spektor's What We Saw From the Cheap Seats.  But all of Kasabian's albums are quite impressive, too...