In the year 1989, I went through a country and western music phase when I listened to a local Gainesville country station (which now plays light jazz). And there were several good tunes that I heard then. Rosanne Cash made an excellent cover of her father's (Johnny Cash) Tennessee Flat Top Box. Californian Dwight Yoakam had a hit I liked in the humorous, sweet I Got You (To See Me Through). Michael Martin Murphey's sad I'm Gonna Miss You Girl was my favorite of his. And That's My Job (originally from 1987), by Conway Twitty, has to be one of the greatest tearjerkers of all time, not just for 1989 (when I heard it).
But I listened mostly to rock/pop in 1989. Young MC and Tone Loc came out with good rap songs in Bust a Move and Funky Cold Medina, respectively. The hair metal band Warrant had their best tune (to me) in The Down Boys (which resembled Bye Bye Love by the Cars). Rod Stewart showed his mellow side in the beautiful Downtown Train. Stevie Nicks had one of my favorites of hers in the grossly underplayed A Long Way to Go. Aerosmith hit the height of their resurgent popularity with their loud and titillating Love in an Elevator. XTC's Mayor of Simpleton was a fun-sounding tune with a compelling harmony. Janet Jackson introduced her Rhythm Nation 1814 album with the first single Miss You Much. This period, to me, was the pinnacle of her career. Neil Young, with a big chip on his shoulder from George H.W. Bush's election as President, put out a very critical, sarcastic, and effective protest song with his Rockin' in the Free World. The supergroup Traveling Wilburys, featuring George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison, were very popular on the radio in 1989. My favorites of theirs were End of the Line, Margarita, and my top favorite song of 1989 (back then): Handle With Care. Tom Petty excelled with his stubborn I Won't Back Down and the rollicking Running Down a Dream. My #2 song from 1989 was by Tears For Fears for their tribute to the Beatles and the 1967 Summer of Love: Sowing the Seeds of Love. The video for it was also very, very entertaining (and clever).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment