Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Tuesday's List: My Favorite Music During 2017

My musical tastes for 2017 diverged down two different paths.  On one I continued to listen to indie/alternative rock on the radio...primarily the local Gainesville-area station 100.5/WHHZ "The Buzz"...while on the other I began to more intently listen to classical music.  I was greatly disappointed in several of my favorite alternative rock acts, i.e. Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, Sufjan Stevens, and Spoon, when none of their new studio albums released this year yielded a single track that I liked...that's one reason I turned classical.  Still, I heard enough good rock music on the radio...some of it from a year or two (or more) back...that I think I have enough to compose a list of my favorite songs of the year.  So yes, some of these songs may not be all that current, but it was in 2017 when I noticed and began to like them.  The best musical act, in my opinion, was the duo Twenty One Pilots, which had my top favorite song as well as some others.  Also, Beck, one of my favorites, just released his latest album Colors back in October...I've only heard a couple of tracks from it so far.  Well, without further ado, here's my list of favorite songs for this past year:

1 RIDE..............................................Twenty One Pilots
2 THE MAN.....................................The Killers
3 HEAVYDIRTYSOUL...................Twenty One Pilots
4 SPIRITS.........................................Strumbellas
5 THE WHEEL.................................PJ Harvey
5 GO ROBOT....................................Red Hot Chili Peppers
6 HO HEY..........................................Lumineers
7 HEATHENS....................................Twenty One Pilots
8 LAY IT ON ME..............................Vance Joy
9 ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME....Coldplay
10 UP ALL NIGHT.............................Beck
11 STRESSED OUT...........................Twenty One Pilots
12 STAY............................................Rihanna
13 WHOLE WIDE WORLD............Cage the Elephant
14 FEEL IT STILL...........................Portugal. The Man

As for classical music, I tended to listen to whatever was on the radio: my favorite stations are 102.7/WUFT CLASSICAL and, on my TuneInRadio app, WCRI from Rhode Island.  I did especially like Henryk Górecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, Gustav Mahler's Ninth Symphony, and that incredible Second Movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.  Maybe this coming year I'll start listing my classical favorites like I do with the popular hits...

No comments:

Post a Comment