I go by the name Billy Irwin, not Billy Pilgrim. Still, at least musically speaking, since 2009 I have become quite "unstuck in time" regarding my favorite songs for each year. The reason is quite simple, really: for the past three years or so, when I become interested in a particular act, I amass its collection of songs from years gone by and then discover some gems often residing deep within albums, some of them recorded and released long ago. In January of 2011, I started with my continuing exploration of Radiohead's music. Then, as the year progressed, I followed, in succession, Spoon, Arcade Fire, and Gorillaz. Finally, toward the end of 2011, I rediscovered The Police and their incredible five studio albums from 1978 to 1983 (with consistently, eerily appropriate lyrics for the times we now live in). Scattered throughout the year, I listened to my old favorites Sufjan Stevens, Regina Spektor, Beck, and Metric. Plus, I acquired the latest Linkin Park album, the cerebral A Thousand Suns, which I highly recommend. There was only one song on my year's favorites list that I actually heard by listening to broadcast radio: DeVotchKa's 100 Other Lovers. So, at least temporally speaking, my 2011 favorites are spread out a bit over the years (even going back to 1982). Well, here goes my list:
1 To Binge by Gorillaz
2 Soft Rock Star by Metric
3 Neon Bible by Arcade Fire
4 100 Other Lovers by DeVotchKa
5 Last Living Souls by Gorillaz
6 These Are My Twisted Words by Radiohead
7 Rebellion (Lies) by Arcade Fire
8 Stylo by Gorillaz
9 Darkness by The Police
10 My Mathematical Mind by Spoon
11 Man Research (Clapper) by Gorillaz
12 Goodnight Laura by Spoon
13 Earthquake Weather by Beck
14 Windowsill by Arcade Fire
15 The Ghost of You Lingers by Spoon
16 Rehash by Gorillaz
17 Blackout by Linkin Park
18 Revolving Doors by Gorillaz
19 Little by Little by Radiohead
20 Don't Let It Get You Down by Spoon
My personal choice for musical artist(s) of the year? That shouldn't be too difficult to discern, just looking at the above list. It's Gorillaz!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment