#11: Sail to the Moon by Radiohead
Off Radiohead's 2003 Hail to the Thief album, Sail to the Moon is a slow-moving, elegantly mysterious piece that evokes a lot of imagery. I picture myself in a boat out in the ocean, with the rising moon just above the horizon. The waters are relatively peaceful, and it seems that I am indeed "sailing to the moon". The song's actual lyrics are cryptic, although if I wanted I'm sure I could analyze and decipher them. But for me it's the music, featuring Thom Yorke's brilliant high-pitched singing, that makes this song so great.
Ever since Hail to the Thief came out, many have thought (myself included) that it was a political album taking swipes at the Bush administration for "stealing" the 2000 election and invading Iraq in early 2003. But although there seem to be oblique references to politics throughout (Sail to the Moon even contains a reference to "the President"), Radiohead itself has repeatedly denied that this album has a political message to convey. Be that what it may, it is a beautiful work. For years, the only song I heard from it was the single release There There, which I made my favorite song of 2003. But Hail to the Thief, as good as it is, isn't my favorite Radiohead album (by far). That's how good I think they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment