#12: Better by Regina Spektor
This song has a most spectacular beginning, building up to a piano,/electric guitar/drum crescendo before Regina cuts in with her sweet voice. Better is a song of assurance and compassion, with Regina asking, "If I kiss you where it hurts, will you feel better?". Don't we all need some help from other now and then in lifting up our spirits? Life can get to be such a grind sometimes. When I hear Better, not only do I feel comforted, but I also feel more conducive toward comforting others with problems...although I may not exactly go down Regina's proposed pathway toward accomplishing that.
Better is one of those songs that has the perfect feel of a Top Ten mainstream hit, but as usual broadcast radio has virtually ignored it. For me the main thing is that I have it on my MP3, which I listen to while running and at work. It helped me get through some grueling, hot summer runs, adding a little "pep in my step" (as my wife Melissa would say). So who needs 5-Hour Energy? I have something Better!
Speaking of radio, I have heard Regina Spektor from time to time on "Starbucks Radio" and at Publix grocery. So the rest of the world isn't entirely devoid of musical taste!
Better is from Regina Spektor's 2006 album Begin to Hope. As I had stated a few days ago, this personal countdown of my favorites of 2010 is based on songs I liked in 2010, regardless when they were released.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment