Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Favorite Songs of 2010: #7

#7: I Might be Wrong by Radiohead

I Might be Wrong is a relentless, pummeling track from Radiohead's remarkable 2001 Amnesiac album. It is a song tailor-made for becoming a great hit, but it remained on that album as a "deep" track, unreleased as a single. And it makes me wonder why others closer to the music and who are involved in marketing decisions can't seem to realize the treasures that they are passing up. I've seen this with several Radiohead songs, reminding me of the numerous sensational R.E.M. songs that have remained buried deep within their albums, never seeing the light of day on broadcast radio (to use a rather inappropriate metaphor).

Although Thom Yorke charms us throughout I Might be Wrong with his beautiful high-pitched singing voice, here he takes a back seat to the instruments, in particular the drums as they interplay with the guitars. This may well be one of the best percussion pieces I've ever heard. The closing section of the song, following a brief pause, is quite impressive.

Amnesiac is often thought of as being the album full of songs not quite "good" enough to be on Kid A, which was recorded at the same time and released a year earlier. To me, the quality on both is uniformly phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment