#14: I'm a Pilot by Fanfarlo
Fanfarlo is a Swedish/British indie band founded, according to Wikipedia, in 2006. They have had only one album, Reservoir, which came out in 2009. The first track, I'm a Pilot, turns out to be the best on it, as far as I'm concerned. The entire album is quite listenable and I am looking forward to more music from them.
I'm not quite sure what the composer of I'm a Pilot meant with the "pilot" theme, but as I listen to this song I get the message, intended or not, that being a pilot means being in charge of one's own destiny and responsible for one's own life and decisions. It's important for me to feel that way about my life; the temptation is to avoid personal responsibility and treat myself as the product of others' actions. And why not? Many of the people I run across continually spin this type of passive personal narrative. For me, I opt for a proactive view of life, where I can steer my destiny like a pilot steers a plane or boat.
I never heard anything by Fanfarlo on broadcast radio; it was AOL Radio's indie channel that introduced me to them. I remember the eclectic nature of radio music in my youth (Dean Martin and Ray Charles played alongside the Beatles) and think that I'm a Pilot would have mixed in quite well with the playlist back then. How ironic that I can now only get access to it via a highly-specialized web-radio channel!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment