Well, it looks as if I'm about to embark on a series of troubling treatments for my diagnosed cancer, starting with tomorrow's facial mask fitting at the UF Medical Plaza for my upcoming rounds of radiation. In conjunction with that future scenario, full of predicted possible side effects including fatigue, nausea and constipation, one of my physical therapists yesterday paid us a house visit. His intentions were spot-on although I had some difficulty understanding the technical jargon he used about getting a new exercise bicycle and walking aid. It's going to be a test of my will to stand steady in the midst of adversity. I've already written that I'll be focusing on simple things like showing up and following through, without getting hung up on levels of achievement. Since at this stage I'm not envisioned as a "resident" hospital patient, I'll be taking on more personal responsibility for the needed self-care that will be greatly enhanced by that which my sweet Melissa will be providing me. Standing up, successfully navigating the toilet and cleaning (and drying) myself in the shower are basic functional activities that fatigue and stressors on my digestive system could well challenge in terms of my ability to follow through with them. Also, staying active regarding physical exercise...including future weely Parkrun 5Ks...has been a suggestion from my oncologist. I think it's important to "will" myself into action, at least on a short-term basis, once the effects of my treatment begin to sink in. I don't know the exact date my chemotherapy/radiation will begin, but I hope to be ready for it as the almost certainly unpleasant routine settles in...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment