After skipping Gainesville's free weekly Depot Parkrun for two weeks in a row (morning after brain surgery on 10/25, staying home as cautionary measure on 11/1), Melissa drove me down there this morning to walk the 3.1-mile course. Meeting us there was our dear friend Kim, who is in great shape and had no trouble keeping up with me throughout the event. It was around 60 degrees with near-100% humidity...a little chilling to begin with. There were a lot of folks there, making it often a little tedious going down the path while trying to avoid others. Kim is a great conversationalist, meaning that she is a great listener. I talked a lot, but found over the span of the race that it kept me from accelerating into my current fastest walking pace. Hardly sweating any, I finished it with a time of 56:06 with my weight gain into the 180's holding me back. I'm guessing that I could have lightly jogged through most of it and garnered a better finishing time, but I'm also being cautious about any possible jarring to my head. Afterward, we went to our nearby Dunkin' Donuts for some coffee and doughnuts. I'm very glad for this experience and look forward to the possibility in going at it again a week from now. I did notice during our walk the very noisy grackles and red-wing blackbirds, who were concentrated in tree branches in the nature section of the park. You can view today's results by clicking HERE. Instead of straying into too much competitiveness regarding this event, I focused on the priorities of showing up and following through to the end, which I think I succeeded in accomplishing this morning...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment