Tuesday, October 28, 2025

Recovering from Grave Brain Surgery: Life is Fragile

 No expectations.
I am retired, with a memory of colleagues who passed on soon after they finished their careers...one died while still employed and looking ahead to retirement.  Physically, I am in very good condition and have a lot of cardiovascular endurance.  Unfortunately, I have cancer.  Brain cancer.  And it seems to be terminal.  It wasn't diagnosed until exactly a week ago when Melissa drove me to the UF Health emergency room, where they did the ct-scan on my head that showed the golfball-size tumor.  Without ever going home, I was medically transported to the Shands Neurosurgery building off SW Archer Road.  The brain surgery was performed early Friday afternoon there by Dr. Koch and his able team.  The tumor's analysis confirmed its malignancy and aggressive nature. After experiencing an absolutely unncessary psychologically traumatic night in their intensive care unit under the control of bullying RN Antonio, I was deemed recovered enough to (gratefully) transfer to a "normal" med-surgical floor, where I stayed another night before being discharged yesterday.  I'm at home, now, very well-cared for by my sweet Melissa, and am sitting in the dining room typing on this Google Chromebook.  My plan is to take each day as it comes, speak frankly with love, and enjoy the life I have left coming to me.  It's fragile, way too fragile for my tastes!  So, I'm happy that the Dolphins, Dodgers, Buccaneers and Mississippi Rebels all won...but it would have been okay had they lost.  In my present life, my priority is to maintain myself in a positive mental attitude and to encourage recovery while minimizing my head pain without seeking any chemical dependence.  Peace is a wonderful thing, and I'm grateful that Melissa is here with me providing it..

6 comments:

  1. Bill, sometimes I just don't know the words to convey what I would like to say. Your generosity in expressing your thoughts on this blog is truly something that I appreciate and admire. I know that you will do all you should to aid your recovery and with Melissa there by your side I'm sure you will be well-looked after while you manage this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, all I have left is the time accorded me and my choice to make something good out of it.

      Delete
  2. It looks like maybe a rough road during the next few days, so full speed ahead! Thanks for your wonderful comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank...life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks...life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this. But I know you will be stronger in a few weeks. Enjoy time with family.

    ReplyDelete