Friday, March 20, 2026

Early Morning Waking and Activity a New Habit System

 It looks like a new habit has begun with me.  Over the past 3-4 days I have only slept two or three hours during the late evening, with me waking up around midnight and struggling to "nap" until after two in the morning, which I think is an appropriate time for early rising.  Just a half hour ago I got up, went to the bathroom, brewed a pot of coffee and did ten minutes of light running in place.  Tonight I'm going to try going to bed a bit earlier.  Maybe the Parkrun 5K will work out for Saturday morning, maybe it won't.  Shifting topics, I've pretty much had it with Trump and the Republicans about voter eligibility and their repeatedly shifting efforts to roll back voter rights by requiring cumbersome documentation to 'prove' citizenship.  The way I see it, if everyone who was eligible went out to vote on election day, then my one vote would only be one drop in a vast ocean of ballots...and my one filled ballot has NEVER decided an election.  I'm just tired of my 34-count convicted felon of a president going overboard sucking up to his master Netanyahu's agenda...the latter wants to prolong his own war by invading Hezbollah in southern Lebanon, with the USA providing military insurance and backup.  I'm hovering around 181 pounds, using temperance to avoid excessive consumption of sweets while adhering to my living room exercise routine.  I've been up and at it, being awake and active from 3 to 5 each morning.  That's a praise report for sure;  I'm changing habits by adopting a new system of consistent behaviors. Astronomical spring is set to start on this date, and, with a nod to Morgan Freeman, I'd like to enjoy "getting busy" living through it.  If I happen to begin changing a habit today, I want to make it short and sweet and written down and incorporated into an established system...

1 comment:

  1. Sleep is such an interesting thing. Many years ago, I read in a Science News magazine article about sleep patterns in primitive societies without electricity. I found it particularly interesting for 2 reasons. First was because in 1996 I spent 4 months living in a remote area of Fiji, an area where none of the villages had mains power, some of them had generators and others had no electricity at all. Their pattern of sleep was exactly what the researchers had found...villagers would lie down for some sleep a few hours after sunset. After sleeping for a few hours they would get up (generally around 23:00 or midnight) and move around or socialize quietly. During this time there would be no singing or guitar playing, just quiet talking or other passive activity. They would stay up for around 2 hours and then go back to bed and arise just before sunrise to start the new day.
    The 2nd reason this article intrigued me was that my friend Barbara, who is blind to the degree that she doesn't even perceive light, sleeps with that exact same pattern. She will go to bed a few hours after sunset, get up around midnight and maybe take a bit of a dip in the complex pool, and then go back to bed after being up for maybe 2 hours.
    Perhaps that's a more natural way to rest one's body. But I'm pretty sure that anyone who tried this technique would have to stay away from their electronic devices during the time they get up at night.

    ReplyDelete