This morning I listened to a podcast by professional personal development coach Rob Dial that discussed people's comfort zones. Dial, an advocate of seeking out discomfort as a growth mechanism, has stated that one' own comfort zone is where dreams come to die...he's not big on them, to put it lightly. I tend to agree with this conclusion, although as each day wears on like now, when the late afternoon and early evening begin to make their presence felt, I feel a call on me to take things a little easier and not get strung out on crossing off a list of daily goals. I haven't been given a promising diagnosis, but despite precautionary limitations after brain surgery, I am still in a pretty good state of physical fitness. I even think I'm capable of running tomorrow morning's special Thanksgiving edition of Gainesville's Depot Parkrun 5K, treating it as a workout experience. The goal is to get to a point in it when I feel I can get myself into a running groove that lasts the duration of the event. This will be true discomfort, but my experiences at Depot Park have taught me that my tendency with 5K races is to get stronger and retain endurance as they progress, especially relative to others running or walking there. I just walked around our .7 mile block with Melissa and intend to do some more rock-running watching Alex's YouTube posting of his 2022 NYC Marathon experience. Despite breaks in the continuity of his run, with sections of the course left unposted, the video shows well the spirit of this event, and I appreciated Alex's upbeat attitude throughout. I'm coming to appreciate more the relative value in my life of training privately, as opposed to measuring my running progress by how well I do in races that post results publicly. I have two stated goals for tomorrow morning: (1) Show up, and (2) follow through...
Wednesday, November 26, 2025
Running a 5K Race as Immersion into Discomfort Zone
Labels:
Cancer,
Holiday,
Medical,
Neighborhood,
NYC Marathon,
Podcasts,
Self-Improvement,
Walking,
YouTube
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment