As I continue to recover from my prostatectomy surgery on March 6, the recommended six-week post-op delay before I could begin running passed in mid April, and I consequently began to reintroduce running into my workouts. Before that I was walking a lot, and resumed my participation in the weekly Saturday morning Depot Parkrun 5K, walking on April 5 and 12. On the 19th I mixed the 3.1-mile walk with running, with encouraging results. My recovery from the surgery has three facets to it. One, the healing of the necessary surgical wounds involved in the robotic laparoscopic removal of my seriously malignant prostate. Two, my body's ability to recover functions lost with said prostate's removal, chiefly urinary continence. And three, the future (starting in may-May) periodic blood tests to ascertain whether the cancer, diagnosed as localized within the prostate, was completely removed or whether I need further treatment. The healing seems to have gone very well and the bodily functions, mainly improving, are still a work in progress, with me cautiously optimistic. And those future checkups and potential treatments are simply going to be an aspect of my life from now on...better to just get used to them. As for my workouts in April, I have been employing my personally-designed 3.3-mile course in my own residential neighborhood here in far-northern Gainesville to great success, either speed-walking the distance or mixing it up with running. Regarding May, in a couple of days on the 3rd I plan to fully run the Depot Parkrun and then continue consistently trying to make it to that weekly event, running some of them and walking others. It's heating up here in northern Florida and I'm taking this into account by keeping my training reasonable and my distances relatively short. So far, so good. I'm also checking into whether to introduce sprinting into my running routine...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment