Friday, May 2, 2025

Language Acquisition Through Conversation: I'm Working On It

Here in Gainesville...and in many other locations, I hear...is an informal group called Language Exchange Party.  They meet the first and third Fridays of the month at 7 PM, at a restaurant that borders on Depot Park, the place I do my (more or less) weekly runs and walks.  I've known of them ever since the start of the year as I was looking for some venue in which to practice the foreign languages I'm studying, but had to first deal with my own medical issue.  I was thinking about going there this evening but decided to pass on it, college graduation going on and all...we'll see how it goes a couple of weeks from now.  Their group is free and, like I said, informal.  They say that, upon entering the place, you select stickers representing both your best languages and those you are pursuing, enabling everybody to sort through the crowd to find suitable conversation partners.  I would don stickers representing English, Russian, Spanish and Chinese, preparing myself to spend much of the time with my first language as I converse with others learning it.  I have some strategies with Russian, Spanish and Chinese for engaging in conversation as well, both relating to how children pick up their first language.  One is to use stream-of-consciousness speaking, casually connecting words and phrases that at least approximate the meaning of what I'm trying to convey without obsessing on "perfect" grammar or word selection.  Another is to copy my brilliant niece Melanie who, when she was just 20 months old, would go around everywhere and point to just about anything that captured her attention, loudly and clearly naming it...that vacation trip in June, 1981 was unforgettable.  With the latter, I think adults who are studying new languages tend to lag behind with naming things and probably focus too much on just grammar and general vocabulary and phrases.  In any event, I plan to try out my "experiments" in language acquisition some time starting in May: stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to copy Melanie's behavior from back in the day. I'm going to give that a try as I do think I spend way too much time dealing with the conjugation of verbs. Thanks, Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to pointing around and naming stuff...and sometimes asking what something's named...and seeing how this floats with the folks I'm "doing" foreign languages with.

    ReplyDelete