It's sometimes difficult, when outside events are imposed on me, to maintain my own set of standards and routines of running, walking...and especially swimming: December 2024 was a case in point. On the 18th I underwent a prostate biopsy, recovery from which involved a temporary withdrawal from at least the running and swimming...at this final date of the month (and year) I have yet to resume the latter. But for December as a whole, I'm pretty satisfied with my state of progress in the three areas. I participated in four races, running in the Season of Hope 15K, and doing the Depot Parkrun 5K three times, speed-walking it once. This was my first full month of retirement, yet although you might think this would enhance my training, I actually had more control over my activity with my work structure, counter-intuitive as it may seem. Now I need to set up and assert my own routines: it's a process, both for me and for my loved ones. This self-discipline regarding running, walking and swimming is something that I need to develop and take personal responsibility for...with expected medical procedures in the near future, though, I'll still need to be reasonable about it all. In January, apart from the weekly Parkrun 5Ks, there will be a marathon/half-marathon event on Sunday the 19th and a 15K on Saturday the 27th. The degree to which I participate...and train, for that matter, will come down to those factors of self-discipline and my ongoing medical situation. I'm realistically optimistic about the long-term picture, although circumstances may be limiting in the short-term. I'm continuing to see walking and swimming take more significant roles in my life, and my recent switch to the nearby YMCA with its much more accessible swimming pool bodes well for the future...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment