If you've been reading this blog lately, you might have noticed that, while I'm still doing my weekly science fiction short story reviews, just about all of the rest of my reading has been non-fiction, specifically oriented toward self-improvement, fitness and health. Although I'm not yet prepared to deliver a more detailed review of the book I've just finished reading, Outlive by Dr. Peter Attia, it, along with much of the material I've recently consumed, has made a deep impression on how I view fitness and health...especially at my age of 67. Much of what I read only affirmed a lot of what I had already been doing, which on the physical level was self-empowering instead of self-enfeebling following a medical diagnosis I had lived with after late 2011, culminating in corrective open-heart surgery in 2021. The famous Christmas Story movie line "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" comes to mind as I resisted the impulse to take it easy and not take any chances exerting myself...yet my own thoracic surgeon assented to my choice to stay active (within certain limits), which I did for more than a decade before undergoing the procedure. Yes, I feel vindicated through my recent readings, but also challenged as there are other measures I could have been taking but haven't. A lot of this will come out in my review article on Attia's book: I should write it in the next week or so...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment