Tuesday, August 2, 2022

No Atlantic Cyclones Now, But Plenty of Awful Conditions Elsewhere

According to the National Hurricane Center based in Miami, Florida, no tropical cyclones are expected in the next five days.  This fits into the pattern of a lack of Atlantic tropical storms or hurricanes in July, in spite of earlier named storms this year.  In the meantime, during the past few weeks the United States mainland from coast to coast has been subjected to wave after wave of massive heat, some areas hit by 100+ degree temperatures on a repeated basis.  Oregon, Minnesota, New England...these are supposed to be the places people visit in the summertime to escape the heat, not find it.  And of course, the South and Southwest remain hot as always.  On top of this, we're seeing terrible forest wildfires in northern California and tragic flooding in eastern Kentucky.  But on August 2nd, there are crickets chirping over the Atlantic.  Not that I'm complaining about the stymied advancement of alphabetized names in 2022...it's been a long, long time since I've rooted for a tropical storm to threaten my home area.  Still, I recognize the seasonal threat is still out there although at this moment northern central Florida seems like the safest place to be, weatherwise.  Don't worry, Weather Channel meteorologists, I'm confident that within a few weeks you'll get your Florida beach assignments to stand out there in front of the cameras and pretend to be bravely roughing it while the "natives" continue to nonchalantly go about their business in the background...

No comments:

Post a Comment