Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Tueday's List: Past Oscars Best Picture Winners

With last Sunday night's Academy Awards, I decided it would be an appropriate time to list the past winners for Best Film...the Oscars go back into the silent movie era.  While compiling this list and reviewing the nominees, I noticed that in several years more prominent movies were nominated but relative unknowns won the award.   One of the more famous older movies, All Quiet on the Western Front, was a silent film that depicted World War I and its horrible trench combat from the perspective of ordinary German ground soldiers...I managed to see a little of it when TCM showed it last week and have placed it high on my list of movies I need to watch.  Then again, all of the below are most likely good movies...well, most of them I'm sure.  After each movie on the list I indicated whether I saw it in full or in part, followed by a 0-5 rating scale...you can see by the scarcity of "saws" that I'm not exactly what you'd call an avid movie fan.  I noticed something funny on the list: my longest stretch of Academy Award Best Picture winners that I haven't seen is for ten years, and it's the last ten years!  Yet I've watched my share of movies in theaters lately, and some of them had been nominated during this period...go figure.  So, here's that list of Best Picture winners (the year is for when they came out, not that of the actual award presentation)...

1927-28 WINGS
1928-29 THE BROADWAY MELODY
1929-30 ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT...saw in part:5
1930-31 CIMARRON
1931-32 GRAND HOTEL
1932-33 CAVALCADE
1934 IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
1935 MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY....saw:5
1936 THE GREAT ZIEGFELD
1937 THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA
1938 YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU...saw in part:3
1939 GONE WITH THE WIND....saw first half:3
1940 REBECCA
1941 HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY
1942 MRS. MINIVER
1943 CASABLANCA...saw:5
1944 GOING MY WAY
1945 THE LOST WEEKEND
1946 THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
1947 GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT
1948 HAMLET
1949 ALL THE KING'S MEN
1950 ALL ABOUT EVE
1951 AN AMERICAN IN PARIS
1952 THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH
1953 FROM HERE TO ETERNITY...saw:4
1954 ON THE WATERFRONT...saw in part:4
1955 MARTY
1956 AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
1957 BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI...saw:5
1958 GIGI
1959 BEN-HUR
1960 THE APARTMENT
1961 WEST SIDE STORY...saw in part:3
1962 LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
1963 TOM JONES
1964 MY FAIR LADY...saw:5
1965 THE SOUND OF MUSIC...saw:5
1966 A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS
1967 IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT
1968 OLIVER!
1969 MIDNIGHT COWBOY...saw in part:3
1970 PATTON...saw:5
1971 THE FRENCH CONNECTION
1972 THE GODFATHER...saw:5
1973 THE STING
1974 THE GODFATHER PART II...saw:5
1975 ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST...saw:2
1976 ROCKY...saw:3
1977 ANNIE HALL...saw:2
1978 THE DEER HUNTER
1979 KRAMER VS. KRAMER
1980 ORDINARY PEOPLE...saw:3
1981 CHARIOTS OF FIRE...saw:4
1982 GANDHI
1983 TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
1984 AMADEUS
1985 OUT OF AFRICA...saw:1
1986 PLATOON...saw:5
1987 THE LAST EMPEROR...saw:3
1988 RAIN MAN...saw:4
1989 DRIVING MISS DAISY
1990 DANCES WITH WOLVES
1991 THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS...saw:4
1992 UNFORGIVEN...saw:4
1993 SCHINDLER'S LIST
1994 FORREST GUMP...saw:5
1995 BRAVEHEART
1996 THE ENGLISH PATIENT
1997 TITANIC
1998 SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
1999 AMERICAN BEAUTY
2000 GLADIATOR
2001 A BEAUTIFUL MIND...saw:5
2002 CHICAGO
2003 THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING...saw:5
2004 MILLION DOLLAR BABY
2005 CRASH
2006 THE DEPARTED
2007 NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN...saw:4
2008 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
2009 THE HURT LOCKER
2010 THE KING'S SPEECH
2011 THE ARTIST
2012 ARGO
2013 12 YEARS A SLAVE
2014 BIRDMAN
2015 SPOTLIGHT
2016 MOONLIGHT
2017 THE SHAPE OF WATER

No comments:

Post a Comment