At the excellent Chinese diner next to my workplace they have a free magazine there for the taking. It's called Natural Awakenings and often has useful articles...this month's issue has one of them, written by Lisa Marshall and titled Dial Down Stress: How to Stay Cool and Calm. There's an inset in it listing and describing seven ways to combat stress...I think I'll discuss these points...
MULTITASK LESS, MONOTASK MORE: I agree with Lisa here...but only if you're talking about doing two things of a similar nature simultaneously. However, if the two activities require different types of attention...such as, for example, running while listening to an audiobook...multitasking can serve as a stress reducer, enabling me to accomplish daily tasks more efficiently. But having the TV on the news while studying? Not a good idea...
DON'T BE A CHRONIC MEDIA CHECKER: I see it all around me: folks addicted to their smartphones and who cannot resist the temptation to constantly check up on their Facebook and news feeds. You cannot keep up with the news very well anymore by watching cable news channels like CNN, FoxNews, or MSNBC: more likely than not they have their chosen special topics and are not interested in comprehensive, informative news...that's pretty pathetic, isn't it? Lisa agrees with the notion of instead scheduling a block of time early and late each day to catch up with things and let it ride in the meantime. I find that my desktop has a feature in which the news pops up and I can click on whatever story interests me to find out more...I usually do this mornings...
LIMIT CHOICES: being a bit on the extreme side with my daily routines, I already practice this point...I eat pretty much the same things and keep my wardrobe simple. Some people may find this boring, but it frees me to focus on other things and does reduce stress...
DON'T OVERTHINK: Rehashing past events and "replaying tapes" on how I handled them...complete with the merciless element of hindsight...does nothing to help me deal with my present life, which has enough of its own concerns to occupy me...
DAYDREAM: Not taken to excess, daydreaming is a way to safely disconnect from stressful surroundings while exploring my own values and goals. It's a way to break the pattern of stressful thinking and to look for alternative ways to solve problems...
MEDITATE: I know a lot of folks out there have detailed, prescribed methods about meditation...I regard it simply as getting into a quiet state without distractions for a few minutes and being still. It's a good way to relax the body and clear anxiety...
HEIGHTEN SPIRITUALITY: Lisa's article doesn't distinguish between different faith systems, and I won't here either. But reminding myself that God is in control even amid my greatest personal storms is assuring and helps me get through them. Attending my church weekly puts me in contact with wise and friendly people who have no other agenda than to spread God's love through them to others...I'll take some of that, thank you, and yes...it helps to "dial down" stress...
All this having been said, stress is important in our lives and helps give it structure and direction. It's just when the stress on us creates anxiety that problems arise...hopefully some of Lisa Marshall's pointers will help with that...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment