Last year I enthusiastically procured for myself copies of new albums from some of my favorite musical acts, namely Gorillaz, Spoon, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, and Sufjan Stevens (as part of a collaboration). Back then I was very disappointed in what I heard, abandoning them all and jumping over to the classical music genre for my listening. Well, lately I've been
going back to these recordings and listening again...they actually do have some good tracks on them, except for the Gorillaz album, that is. And I have to admit to still not listening again to Planetarium.(Sufjan Stevens' collaborative work)..maybe I'll play it when I'm falling asleep...
Spoon's album Hot Thoughts contains some very good tracks: the title song Hot Thoughts, Do I Have to Talk You Into It, Shotgun, and Can I Sit Next to You are the standouts. Arcade Fire's Everything Now release isn't quite as good as Spoon's, in my opinion...still, the music is listenable with the songs Creature Comfort and Signs of Life being my favorites from it. Kasabian's album For Crying Out Loud is much better than I had originally thought, and I really like a lot of the tracks: Ill Ray (The King), You're in Love with a Psycho, Twentyfourseven, and Comeback Kid are all pretty solid, well done. And I just got hold of Beck's new LP Colors, which is loaded with good material like its title song Colors, I'm So Free, Dear Life, Dreams (released as a single in 2015), Wow, Up All Night, and Fix Me...there isn't a song on this album I don't like...
It goes to show you: it's not just the music itself but the attitude I have when listening to it that is important. Sometimes I'm just not in the right frame of mind when I first listen to something...time can go a long way toward easing my critical reaction to new music. I still like my classical music, but I'm a lot happier now with these good musical acts...well, except maybe for Gorillaz, that is...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment