Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Tuesday's List: My Favorite Christmas Songs

Like a lot of you, I have my car radio preprogrammed to receive my favorite stations at the push of a button.  Some of these play hits from the past, like the ones on 98.5, 99.5, and 100.9.  There are also a couple of Christian-oriented stations on 90.5 and 91.7.  During this Christmas season, I expect (and get) Christmas music on those Christian stations and I naturally expect at least one of the others to play songs of this holiday season as well.  But it turns out that ALL the aforementioned stations are playing only Christmas songs...talk about taking away my choice!  Still, I generally like Christmas music and enjoy hearing the same old tunes over and over again...and it's only for one month, anyway...

Before it's too late this year, I thought I would list my favorite Christmas songs...first the more traditional carols and then the songs with a more popular, secular bent to them.  As for the carols, I love all of them, but that O Holy Night, when it is sung well...there's nothing to compare with it.  And on that second list of my favorite popular Yuletide songs you'll quickly notice that the top two (and another one) are from the movie The Polar Express, which is not only my all-time favorite Christmas movie, but also near the top on my list of all-time favorite movies of any genre. And its wonderful musical soundtrack, I believe, played a big role in that...

********CAROLS********

1 O HOLY NIGHT
2 HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SING
3 IT CAME UPON A MIDNIGHT CLEAR
4 GOOD KING WENCESLAS
5 GOD REST YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
6 ANGELS WE HAVE HEARD ON HIGH
7 SILENT NIGHT
8 WE THREE KINGS OF ORIENT ARE
9 THE WASSAIL SONG
10 DRUMMER BOY
11 DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR
12 GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN
13 THE FIRST NOEL
14 JOY TO THE WORLD
15 DECK THE HALLS
16 AWAY IN A MANGER
17 O LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM
18 O COME ALL YE FAITHFUL
19 MARY DID YOU KNOW
20 I SAW THREE SHIPS
21 WHAT CHILD IS THIS?
22 O CHRISTMAS TREE
23 JINGLE BELLS
24 O COME, O COME EMMANUEL
25 WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS

********POPULAR/SECULAR***********

1 BELIEVE [from the movie The Polar Express]
2 WHEN CHRISTMAS COMES TO TOWN [from the movie The Polar Express]
3 TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS PARODY [Bob and Doug McKenzie]
4 I AM SANTA CLAUS [Bob Rivers and Twisted Radio's parody of Iron Man]
5 DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS [Band Aid]
6 WHITE CHRISTMAS [Bing Crosby]
7 HAPPY CHRISTMAS (WAR IS OVER) [John Lennon and Yoko Ono]
8 FELIZ NAVIDAD [Jose Feliciano]
9 MR. GRINCH [Thurl Ravenscroft]
10 SNOOPY'S CHRISTMAS [The Royal Guardsmen]
11 BLUE CHRISTMAS [Elvis Presley]
12 WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME [Paul McCartney]
13 LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW [Dean Martin]
14 THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR [various artists]
15 WINTER WONDERLAND [various artists]
16 SILVER BELLS [various artists]
17 SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN [Jackson Five]
18 ROCKIN' AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE [Brenda Lee]
19 MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING [The Carpenters]
20 THE CHIPMUNK SONG [Alvin and the Chipmunks]
21 RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER [various artists]
22 FROSTY THE SNOWMAN [various artists]
23 SLEIGH RIDE [various artists]
24 HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS [Burl Ives]
25 HOT CHOCOLATE [from the movie The Polar Express]

No comments:

Post a Comment