Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Fit Elderly

It was apparent to me from the get-go, before Sunday's Ocala Marathon race even began, that I would be running in special company. All around me were people at least my age or older. Some were much, much older. For the first half of the race, when I was actually mostly running, I had surged ahead of most of them (although a few were clearly very fast, like "Maddog" John Wallace). But as I walked through most of the race's end (due to my intensifying right leg pain, dammit), one by one almost all of the remainder caught up with me and passed me. This repeated experience of observing happy, fit, and often very elderly runners completing a 26.2-mile MARATHON made a deep impression on me. But it wasn't the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

When it's real cold outside and below freezing, my local YMCA's heated swimming pool remains closed. But once the outside temperature gets into the mid-thirties, the tarps are pulled back and the pool is opened for anyone intrepid enough to venture a swim. And just what kind of person would that be? From my safe (and wimpy) position in their exercise room, I have observed elderly person after elderly person (never anyone young) walk out to the pool when it is that cold, in typical "summer" swimwear. Then the young lifeguard would come out of the office to guard them, bundled to the hilt in winter protective clothing, hunched over, and shivering. Then the swimmers would do their seemingly endless laps, showing no discomfort whatsoever from the cold!

When I think of the kids in my age group that I went to school with, I wonder how each of them has turned out by now with their health, and what their prospects are for old age. Cancers and systemic chronic illnesses like diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease can hit pretty early, often by one's late thirties. For many of those who survive into their sixties and seventies, they are often-as-not saddled with chronic infirmities or disabilities that interfere with their mobility and ability to enjoy life to its fullest. And then there are THESE people I see around me, swimming in the near-freezing cold and running marathons, with no end in sight as to what they can do! Guess which group I want to be a part of??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment