As I have said before on this blog a number of times, I have some serious reservations about the current health care reform bill being pushed through Congress by President Obama and the Democrats. I oppose people at large being coerced to purchase health insurance from private companies that have been exempted from federal anti-trust laws that would have increased competition and lowered prices. I also doubt that provisions within the legislation intended to help those with preexisting conditions to procure insurance at reasonable prices will have their desired effect. That having been said, I think that the Democrats are on the right track by finally deciding to get this bill enacted through the process of reconciliation.
Reconciliation is a complicated procedure through which a bill can bypass the usual 60-vote supermajority needed in the Senate to get anything done. It has been used in the past by both parties, most notably by George W. Bush and his Republican colleagues to enact tax cuts and fund the Iraq War. So this is nothing new.
But since the Republicans have decided to play political hardball and stall anything and everything the majority Democrats are trying to accomplish, it is well past time for the party that clearly won the previous national election to finally assert itself. As for GOP outcries that the reconciliation process completely circumvents them, I can only reply that (1) the bill currently being pushed through contains much of their input (without their supporting votes) and (2) it has ALREADY BEEN PASSED by both houses of Congress!
We'll see how this legislation plays itself out once it is finally passed through reconciliation and signed by the President. They do need to go on to other pressing matters, though. And the Democrats, especially President Obama, need to stop pretending that there is anything remotely resembling bipartisanship left in either the House of Representatives or the Senate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment