Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ratcheting Up the Distance

For thirty-five years after I had run 14.35 miles late one afternoon in early March 1975, that mark had stood as a personal distance record. Last Wednesday I broke it with a 15.26 mile run. That record lasted all of four days, with me surpassing it yesterday. I ran 16.74 miles as I continue to "ratchet up the distance" toward my goal of completing a marathon, race or no race.

The weather finally began to heat up after several cold mornings (I was premature in my earlier pronouncement of spring's arrival). Although my run took place in warmer temperatures (upper 60s and low 70s), the humidity was unusually low (and helpful) at around 20%. I did have some residual negative effects after the run, with cramping in my feet and legs. But today I am doing quite well, looking forward to going on a middle-distance run tomorrow (I don't run on consecutive days).

This new distance record of mine may not last much longer than my previous one. I would like to get at least above twenty miles before the real hot and humid climate sets in here in north central Florida. But then again, I may be able to continue with my long distance runs at night, although I do need to pick up some night gear to help me survive the dark conditions.

Speaking of night running, I drove around Gainesville and noticed that, on most streets, the streetlights were usually placed in a row on one side only and completely absent on the other. So depending on them for my lighting is not such a "bright" idea. Instead, I think I'll get one of those headband flashlights that will light up the path in front of me regardless of its darkness. Also, I will pick up some reflective gear as well as a belt/water bottle apparatus so that I can rehydrate in the middle of my runs without having to stop by my house. Should be another fun adventure. And it's finally coming, with the record winter we've been experiencing (average temperature eight degrees below normal) coming to an end. At least I think it's coming to an end!

No comments:

Post a Comment