I have decided to "go regional" for this year regarding my running activities. I will continue to focus on training, mostly in my own neighborhood, and occasionally enter some of the longer race events held in town and this part of the state of Florida. I doubt that I will be ready to run in a distance as long as a marathon (26.2 miles) until May at the earliest, and by that time the weather will definitely be hotter and more humid. So I will probably hold off on tackling this challenge until later in the year when various Florida cities begin to host autumn and winter marathons.
Still, I am working on increasing how long I can run at a time. Last Wednesday, I set a lifetime distance record of 15.26 miles (the previous record was 14.35 miles in March 1975). Tomorrow being Monday and a day off from work, I will have more time available to see how far I can run. So it should be an adventure. It wouldn't bother me at all to actually accomplish a marathon run just by running around my neighborhood (although I don't anticipate this happening anytime soon). After all, there's no steep registration fee, restrictive race packet pickup policy, or travel and lodging expense. No porta-potties are needed either, with my home serving as a convenient bathroom pit stop as well as a Gatorade rehydration hub. And I can freely listen to my MP3 during the experience. Not a bad deal at all!
As long as I settle for less-than-marathon distances, there is plenty going on around here for me to participate in. I am definitely going to enter in the Climb for Cancer 15K race to be held in Gainesville on March 27. And I will most likely join the Florida Track Club as a member some time this year. I may even go on some training runs with others.
This past weekend, the Albany (Georgia) Marathon was held. I had earlier decried the fact that I couldn't get time off from work to run in it, but now I see that it was all for the better since I wasn't physically prepared anyway. I had gotten the marathon "bug" just a little too late in the season this time around. Maybe next year (I have a strong personal connection with Albany). The same goes for the March 28 Knoxville Marathon, which would have been fun to run in had I been prepared, both physically and with more time for travel and a stay-over. Well, if all goes well and I continue to improve, 2011 could be a marathon-rich year for me. As for now, I will just stick with improving and enjoying my running while getting more involved in my area races.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment