I feel blessed at my age to still be fit enough to engage in 5K (3.1-mile) walk/run events. I'm also grateful that my home town of Gainesville now has two free weekly 5K events, each held Saturday mornings at 7:30. The older of the two, Depot Parkrun, I've participated in since 2019, finishing so far some 82 races at this writing. The most recent one, West End Community Parkrun, held its first race on July 12th, and I ran my first race there on August 2nd. I now have a choice for each Saturday morning: stay in bed at home, get up and do the Depot Parkrun...just south of downtown Gainesville...or travel a bit further west of town to West End Community Park for their event. I've written before that I prefer the Depot Park course, which consists of four laps on a paved pathway around the park. They also have park restroom facilities there, as well as plenty of parking. My only objection is that the town surrounding the park is kind of run down, with plenty of homeless people walking the streets and planting themselves around the businesses that are trying to function there...including the nearby Starbucks, sigh. As for West End Community Park, the course is nearly impossible to figure out, zigzagging with sharp turns and uneven concrete sidewalks, interrupted by stretches of grassway slickened by the morning dew and in different states of mowing. Last week I speed-walked the four laps at Depot Park, and following the race I ran an unofficial bonus lap...this is unfeasible at the new site. Also, West End at this time only has a couple of porta-potties: pretty primitive. On its upside, though, just across Newberry Road from the park is a classy shopping center, highlighted for me by a branch of Gainesville Health and Fitness Center that opens at 8 am. I can go there after the race, cool myself down at GHF and change clothes, and then walk a few steps over to Patticakes, a very nice coffee shop that used to be a Starbucks for years. This Saturday my plan is to try out West End again and see how it all goes...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment