Wednesday, July 30, 2025

This Morning at the Lab

After spending more than an hour waiting for my blood to be drawn at my pathology lab this morning, I realized that it's not always prudent to get there the earliest.  Many other folks are following the same reasoning...either to just get it done with or to fit it into their tight schedules...so the "early bird" rush is in effect.  Not only that, but they had only one person to draw the blood in the lab.  By the time my name was finally called, they had three on duty...I think from now on I'll wait a little while before going down there. Despite the wait, the people around me were friendly and patient, as (hopefully) I seemed to be toward them. I tried the "early" route because getting there right after awakening was the most convenient way to get my blood drawn after fasting...now I can enjoy my iced coffee at the nearby Dunkin' Donuts while musing about the month about to end.  Yesterday Melissa and I signed and initialed the contract for the sale of our tragically deceased son Will's house...the closing process is now essentially in the confident and capable hands of our real estate agent, bless him.  Then the two of us made plans for another cruise, this one in early October.  That should be fun as well.  In the meantime, I'm having to continue my follow-up medical visits, in August to check my heart status, in September to my urologist/surgeon following prostate cancer surgery, and in October to consult with a dermatologist.  I guess I'm now in the permanent medical rotation, but I feel fine and intend to continue doing so...   

2 comments:

  1. I've come to the same conclusion as you that being the early bird isn't the best idea when it comes to going to the lab for blood tests. The labs all open at 07:30 so I now go around 09:00. I went a few days ago and I was the only one there at that time. I have also been thinking that it's selfish of me to go early because there are people on their way to work or school who need one of the first slots more than I do.
    As for the cruise, where are you planning to go this time? David and I were on board for 5 weeks through May and really enjoyed it although we won't do one on such a large vessel again...too many people! In late November we're taking a Hurtigruten ferry up the west coast of Norway and back. I would have liked to have gone over the winter solstice, but that one is more expensive. We did this back in 2018 and it was spectacular to see the Northern Lights.
    I've been distracted lately with buying an apartment here (so we won't have to rent anymore) but the buying has now been done and now it's just the moving issues. I'm enjoying having the time now to catch up on some of your more recent postings and seeing that your recovery from surgery apparently has gone well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIce to hear from you, Becky. The cruise we have planned for October...if it isn't cancelled for one reason or another, including tropical disturbances...takes us to stops in the Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Aruba and Curacao. I am a strong advocate of "staying on the ship" during stopovers. The main advantage to these excursions for me is that they empty the ship and makes it more enjoyable there...especially with the pools.

    ReplyDelete