Thursday, May 15, 2025

Just Finished Reading Perehelion Summer by Greg Egan

It had been quite a while since I last visited my local public library branch on NW 43rd Street here in Gainesville.  But I wanted to make sure my library card still scanned, so once I had that taken care of at the counter, I browsed around the book aisles until I came up with a couple interesting enough to check out, both fiction: a mystery novel with a cat and dog as sleuths (press HERE for my earlier review) and a short science fiction novel by Greg Egan titled Perehelion Summer, published in 2019.  I just read it, so here are my reactions.  Not big on character development, this story concerns a scenario that could happen in our own time: the invasion into our solar system of a black hole sizable enough to wreak havoc with planetary orbits and threaten our own lives.  "Mandjet" is the name given to an innovative sea ship designed to handle climate change by creating a self-sustaining floating ecosystem within which people could survive...and possibly even thrive...through natural calamities such as global warning.  But when a black hole is detected entering our solar system, heading in the general direction of Earth, the alarms...and subsequent panic...go off planet-wide as the crew of Mandjet, including the novel's protagonist Matt, prepare to use their ship to save whatever lives they can.  The Earth gets slightly knocked off its orbit, just enough to plunge the northern and southern hemispheres into extreme summers and winters. This causes the human population to undergo drastic migration twice each year to the more habitable polar areas of the planet.  What ends up happening with Mandjet, the main characters, and how they respond and adapt to the many challenges coming their way comprise the bulk of the book.  I found it all a bit dry and heavily loaded...as "hard" sci-fi often is, with highly technical passages that challenged my capacity for visualization.  So I didn't enjoy reading this story as much as I had planned...those are the breaks when you pick out a book almost at random from the library shelves and take a chance on it.  Not a bad story, Perehelion Summer...but a little difficult to digest, nonetheless.  Maybe this says more about me as a reader than about anyone as writer, but I preferred the more fanciful mystery novel with the smart pets taking center stage...

No comments:

Post a Comment