It's now been four full months since I left my job at the United States Postal Service and began retirement. Unlike a few of my predecessors, I have never had the slightest urge since then to take up any part-time paid work. I do not miss in the slightest having to brave the often horrendous daily city traffic as I used to, arrive at my workplace, and then spend hours surrounded by cameras and spy windows trained on the workroom floor (and me) while enduring alpha male supervisors with pecking order complexes. That said, my main (MDO) supervisor was thoroughly wonderful and I do strongly miss working with her, as well as with the overwhelming majority of rank and file people who have blessed this organization over the years. As for the actual work I did, I treated it seriously enough to allow myself to get somewhat upset whenever something went wrong on the part of others...which was often enough. For the most part, I was allowed some autonomy in my work, which I appreciate. No job I imagine is completely stress-free, and mine was no exception. Still, I liked the structure of discipline it imposed on my time, although since leaving there I have been replacing it with my own personally fulfilling projects. Soon after my retirement, a reunion celebration was held at a local Mexican restaurant near my home, but I didn't attend. I'm glad I didn't, after seeing the posted photos showing who all was there. Sure, there were many good people, but also a couple of not-so-good as well. Since I retired I have had absolutely no desire to visit the place or know how things are going there. Absolutely none. During COVID, I felt that the people running this facility took a dangerously lax approach to the pandemic, and the decision to export our processing to distant Jacksonville only hurt customer service while limiting employee options. I was also tired of a few clerks over the years obviously being hired on a special fast track into management, given special cushy assignments and the run of the building with little accountability, in contrast to the rest of us who had to wait our turn on a register and often have to wait for years to get a preferred assignment. But here I am now, on the other side of all that...
Tuesday, April 1, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment