I have to admit it: I'm a sucker for personal development books, and there is no shortage of them. I also dig podcasts and YouTube channels with this theme...Jim Kwik has a good one. Recently he talked with Aditi Nerurkar, the author of one such book: The 5 Resets. So I checked out an audio version from my public library system's Libby app. As she puts it, our brain has two special sections that sometimes work at cross-purposes with each other: the amygdala...which processes danger and produces the stress "fight or flight" response needed for survival...and the prefrontal cortex...used in planning and seeing the big picture. But people in this modern, digitally-obsessed world of ours today are suffering from unnecessary and harmful chronic stress with that amygdala co-opting their mental functions...she proposes five ways, or "resets", to curtail it and enable them to have much less anxiety and burnout in their lives:
1--Get clear on what matters most
2--Find quiet in a noisy world
3--Sync your brain and your body
4--Come up for air
5--Bring your best self forward
Aditi Nerurkar has a great premise for this book, but I left it with a laundry list of "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts", giving it a sense of disorganization. Much of the material I was already familiar with. Don't multi-task, take breaks with your work, do breathwork, practice mindfulness, cultivate an attitude of gratitude, don't try to change too many things at once, eat well (Mediterranean diet), exercise, get a good night's sleep, prioritize your life according to what's most important, avoid being overly digitally-dependent, and so on. I enjoyed the book, and perhaps the greatest benefit I drew from it is just that sense of affirmation and enforcement of what seem to me to be pretty common-sense ideas. Now wouldn't you know it, Jim Kwik himself has written his own book, titled Limitlesd, and of course I just had to check out that one, too...I'm reading it now...
No comments:
Post a Comment