Thursday, April 3, 2025

Maybe "Greatest" Rock Band List Should be Rephrased as "Favorite"

Whatever the algorithm or AI on Facebook happens to be, it has decided that I'm a rock music fan, especially interested in the classic rock of the twentieth century.  So I get a lot of posts on my newsfeed about this genre, much of it about the Beatles.  The other day I got a post on it from Forbes Magazine listing the 30 greatest rock bands of all time.  Okay, let's see what they've got.  Uh-oh, the Beatles were only listed at number two: sorry, this list is bogus.  Still, the top band in their estimation, Led Zeppelin, happens to be my own list's runner-up to the Fab Four.  Where I have the biggest problems with this list is how highly they ranked acts I dislike and then omitted some of the best ones from their list.  But it's all subjective anyway...better to present a list like this as their ranking of "favorite bands" instead of "greatest bands".  Forbes had Queen at #3...okay, I generally like them but not that much.  R.E.M., my all-time favorite American band, wasn't even on the list...neither were Yes, Soundgarden, the Police, Beach Boys, Moody Blues, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Doobie Brothers or Pearl Jam while several groups I dislike...like Van Halen, Kiss, Oasis, the Clash, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Journey...were on it.  I guess to each his or her own...here are my top ten favorite rock bands:

1 THE BEATLES
2 LED ZEPPELIN
3 R.E.M.
4 RADIOHEAD
5 THE POLICE
6 THE DOORS
7 THE WHO
8 YES
9 THE MOODY BLUES
10 PINK FLOYD

No comments:

Post a Comment