The pathology report on my surgically removed prostate and lymph nodes was posted on my medical portal online Friday evening...supposedly, the urologist who performed the surgery on March 6 is going to call me on the phone tomorrow to discuss it and my path forward. Melissa, who is a registered nurse and understands the often arcane jargon presented in laboratory reports and summaries, concurred with me that this pathology report had some very good news. The prostate was substantially compromised with an aggressive form of cancer: this was expected...and obviously, not the good news. The good news is that it is now out of my body and the lymph nodes...the first destination of such a malignancy on its way to metastasis...have been analyzed and determined to be clear. Now I'm a cautious person in many respects, and I would rather hear this all straight from the doctor's mouth. So that's where I'm at right now, waiting for that call. In any event, I will be having a blood test to determine my PSA (protein-specific antigen) level before my follow-up visit to this urologist in late May. The PSA level has with it a relatively high correlation with the probability of cancer, so that test will be pretty important with all of us hoping and praying that it will be very low...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment