I'm plodding on ahead with my recovery from the prostatectomy surgery on March 6, savoring little victories as I go along. For example, although I'm not supposed to run for a few weeks as this would interfere with my healing from the operation, I can walk...I'm encouraged to do so. Still, I'm not trying to speed-walk like I was doing before entering the hospital. No, but I still try to maintain at least a moderate pace although if I'm walking with others, I'm only too happy to follow their pace. This morning I decided to go out into my home neighborhood and walk my 3.3 mile loop course. It was 71 degrees with 61% humidity...not quite as cool and dry as I would have liked, but I realize that as spring progresses it's just going to get worse. I had no problem finishing the course (at 54:18) and never felt any pain or loss of energy. It was fun to get out in the sun and go down all the familiar streets, greeting others as I passed by them. Little victories, I think, are indeed important in a recovery like the one I'm experiencing...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's so good to hear that your recovery seems to be going well. I know it's a steep hill you have to climb to get back to doing those things you enjoy, but it sounds as if you've got yourself a solid plan that you're following. I'm looking forward to when you post about your first Depot Park run (or walk) when you get to that stage. Of course, with summer coming on there in G'ville, it may take longer than you would like to get back up to speed, but there's not much you can do about Florida heat and humidity.
ReplyDeleteMy plan with races like the weekly one held at Depot Park is to either walk or volunteer there, at least through May. Maybe by June I'll be healed enough to tackle some slower-paced runs. Nothing longer than 5K, though, until October at the earliest.
ReplyDelete