Friday, January 17, 2025

Quote of the Week...from Jim Carrey

I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer.                                          ---Jim Carrey

I've always thought that comedic actor Jim Carrey was very talented, although truth be told I sometimes felt that he had a tendency to ham it up just a little too much in his movies.  But his characters in the 90's comedy series In Living Color were hilarious.  Carrey has turned out later in his life to be quite a philosopher, a thoughtful individual.  His above quote appealed to me not because I think there's anything wrong in being rich and famous and doing everything I ever dreamed of, but because I think that too many of us stumble through life believing in those goals and feeling that anything less than their fulfillment is the sign of a failed life.  I like material well-being without necessarily being rich.  I like recognition from others for achievements I've attained without me attaining those achievements in order to receive recognition.  I like to fulfill some of my dreams as well.  But I also believe that there is such a thing as "enough", and once I've reached a level in some area then I'm (hopefully) content enough to explore other areas as well.  I think Carrey was hinting that community and the helping of others as part of a deeper, more spiritual outlook should also be a part of the "answer". As for me, let me take this day and just see what I can do with it.  Then, when and if tomorrow comes, I'll take that day on its own terms, and so on.  And if along the way there are some things I'd like to have and some things I'd like to do, then that's cool, too...

2 comments:

  1. For whatever reason, I have never been a goal-oriented person (perhaps I have chronically low dopamine levels, who knows?). When I was much younger I was told so often that I needed to have goals in life. This pressure to conform to something that I inherently didn't want used to stress me out a lot. Now that I'm a genuine old person, nobody ever tells me that anymore. I am exceedingly happy with my life even though I don't own much when it comes to 'things' and most people don't even know who I am. I have a certain fascination, though, with people like yourself, who seem to derive great enjoyment from setting and then attaining goals. I certainly don't want to change myself, but I truly delight in seeing others reach those summits that they set for themselves to climb. Maybe that's part of why I like reading your blogs, it's a window into a different mindset and I find that really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get along more in my life, I've found that "goals" have more or less morphed into "good-habit-setting", whereby my challenges are everyday, small decisions to deliberately step out of my comfort zone for a greater good. Doing something that may be a little beyond what I've been capable of before...that's goal-setting, I guess, but it's also enjoyable, at least in the long run.

    ReplyDelete