Right after I signed up for a half-marathon race that's supposed to happen tomorrow morning in Hawthorne, I began to see weather alerts pointing to severe storms from a strong winter front that is to span much of the weekend, beginning Saturday (today) evening and dropping extensive rain on our area into Sunday afternoon. That sucks...probably wouldn't have signed up had I known that. But it is what it is...didn't Donald Trump once say that...and here I am with a soaking-sucking weekend ahead of me. I'm skeptical that I'll show up in Hawthorne early tomorrow morning, but I'll leave that decision up to the "me" that experiences that time when it comes around. Instead, I got up early this morning...after a rare bout with insomnia...and hauled myself out to Depot Park, a few blocks south of downtown Gainesville, to see what I could salvage today before the buckets start pouring down. For today's Depot Parkrun 5K, it was still dry (although humid at 87%) with a bearable 53 degrees at 7:30 race time. I felt a little stiff and out of sorts from lack of sleep, but I went out on the run pushing myself, despite feeling that this race was going to be a slow one. It turned out, though, that while I felt I was struggling a bit, I had a better-than-expected final time at 27:45...not my personal best for a Parkrun, but still better than last Saturday's: click HERE to view today's race results. As for tomorrow's race, the organizers e-mailed me an update yesterday stating that they were considering delaying the 8 am start if the rain was falling too hard. But I'd rather know that was going to happen before I go down there and find myself stuck, waiting around in the rain: tell me your decision sometime today, please, if you're gonna do that. I don't mind getting a little wet, but I'm guessing that the grounds are going to be thoroughly saturated, with a lot of puddles to run through on the paved course. So at least I got in a nice little run this morning, even if I end up (as I'm currently inclined) skipping tomorrow's event...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment