I think I'm quite ready for another adventure. ---Bilbo Baggins
I'm not sure whether J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved elder hobbit, chief protagonist of his novel The Hobbit and a bit player in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, speaks the above quote in the latter series. But in the final Lord of the Rings movie, The Return of the King, he utters it as his old friend Gandalf invites him on the boat that will take them to the fabled Grey Havens at the end of the saga. And like Bilbo, I, too, am ready for another adventure...a string of them, in fact. But let's start with what is immediately before me. On Sunday I plan to speed-walk my first half-marathon race...I've run the previous 17 since 2010. It's the Tom Walker Half-Marathon, which I've run 5 time before, including the last two years. It runs along the Hawthorne Trail, leaving and returning to Boulware Springs Park off SE 15 Street in Gainesville. I've been wanting to see how fast I could speed-walk this kind of distance and how my energy level would flow during longer races. Well, here goes. As for more adventures, let's just say that I'm looking forward to my retirement which begins after my final scheduled workday on November 29th...
No comments:
Post a Comment