Before I discuss my long-distance run/walk this morning, I'd like to express my deepest respect and appreciation for all of the Americans who died defending this nation while serving in uniform during times of conflict. They are treasures, each and every one, and should never be forgotten. Around my personally-designed 10.4-mile course that runs through my own residential subdivision and the adjacent ones, I saw a number of homes with many little American flags in their front yards to express their support as well. I decided to do my run this morning instead of Sunday at twilight because, well, we had company over yesterday and I knew I'd be off from work today. But although late afternoon/early evening temperatures of late have been pretty high, creeping up into the 90s here in northern Florida, the humidity has been relatively low and once the sun has settled low enough in the western sky there's been plenty of shade as well. This morning all was different and, other than the lower temperatures, much worse. At the start of my training outing at 8:30, it was 69 degrees with 99% humidity and by the end it was 81 with 73% humidity...and very little cloud cover or shade. I alternated 3 minutes of brisk walking with 2 of moderate running, and decided to add the walkway along NW 53rd Avenue between 34 St and 43rd. My finishing time was 2 hours 5 minutes 23 seconds for the 10.4 miles, reasonable but the humidity combined with the heat took its toll on me although I carried Gatorade with me to drink along the way. During today's activity I listened, via Amazon Music, to a mix of songs by Radiohead, probably my favorite band of the last 20-odd years. I seem to take better to hotter afternoons with lower humidity than with warm mornings combined with high humidity...especially factoring in the added shade enjoyed later on in the day. So we'll see how things go as spring blends into summer. My recovery from today's run/walk seems to be going right on track...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment