Monday, May 13, 2024

Just Finished Reading Discipline is Destiny by Ryan Holiday

Ryan Holiday is an entrepreneur and author of several books supporting his adopted philosophy of stoicism mixed with Buddhism.   In his book Discipline is Destiny (2022), he uses examples from mythology and history to show how superior a life of temperance and self-discipline is, and that each of us can choose our own way, preferably a life of virtue: excellence in the physical, mental and emotional realms.  The Four Cardinal Virtues he breaks down in the book's introduction: courage, temperance, justice and wisdom.  Discipline is Destiny is the second of Holiday's four-part series on these virtues: he's already written Courage is Calling and the next book, about justice, is titled Right Thing, Right Now and is due for release next month.  This book I just read is loaded with examples of people, mostly famous, who either implemented the author's stoically-derived principles of self-restraint or who fell victims to excess and impulse.  Freedom is discipline, he stresses, while making the wrong choices in life can lead to one's voluntary subjugation to others.  There's a lot of good stuff in this book that can spur inner reflection.  You may not like some of the historical figures he cites for examples, but the examples themselves are pertinent and worthy of attention.  Before I read the new book coming out soon, I think I'll check out Courage is Calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment