Just when I was starting to be convinced that the New Year's "resolutionists", as I dub them, had begun to retreat back into their normal state of unmotivated mediocrity, I was dismayed yesterday to get to my gym, Gainesville Health and Fitness, a little past nine in the evening to discover that members had taken up all the swimming lanes in their generous indoor pool. Since I had picked Friday as my "swim day" of the week, I might have to change it to another day, say Monday, since folks often stay up later when they're leaning into the weekend. As it was, I went over to use one of their elliptical cross-trainer machines and then fiddled around with light weight settings on their overhead press and chest press weight machines...I've been advised in the past couple of years by two different physical therapists to work out some with light weights. After I did that I peeked back at the pool and it seemed there were some available lanes, so I went back and did six laps, no doubt looking completely awkward and uncoordinated as I struggled with the freestyle crawl, backstroke and breaststroke to cover the distance. All in all it was a positive gym experience, but I was frustrated at the overcrowded pool that late in the evening. Hopefully either some of its users can demotivate themselves a bit or Monday might be more amenable to my own schedule. As for this morning, I'm usually out at Depot Park running its free 5K Parkrun, but it was raining at the time pretty strongly. They still held the event as they didn't get any lightning, but for me I was fine letting it ride until next week. Speaking of next week, on Sunday the 14th the Florida Track Club will be holding its Mary Andrews Marathon/Half-Marathon race at Hawthorne. I signed up for the half-marathon. Although I was interested in the marathon and thought I could cover it, the race organizers placed what I think was an unreasonably strict cap of 5 hours for the event, beyond which they would refuse to time finishers...how tacky and elitist! I'm reconsidering my membership to the Florida Track Club as I get completely different...and much more negative...vibes from their people than from those in charge of the Parkruns. Doesn't mean I won't run in the FTC races from time to time, though. Yet their attitude makes me wonder: after all, their posted mission statement is (italics mine) "Our mission is to build the local running community and act as a network that supports runners of all ages and abilities"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment