Thursday, January 25, 2024

Just Finished Reading Outlive by Dr. Peter Attia

I recently read Dr. Peter Attia's book Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity, in which the Canadian physician presents a comprehensive vision of the priorities people should take with their old age in mind, and at a much earlier age that many others in his profession feel.  In that sense, I think that this book was primarily aimed at young-to-middle-aged adults rather than a budding 67-year-old senior citizen as myself. For example, Attia is a strong advocate that younger adults lift heavy weights in order to build the bone density necessary in later years to enable them to withstand falls that, for too many, carry with them devastating results for both future quality of life and lifespan. He is very adamant that, with the natural loss of muscle mass through aging, people work hard to maintain that muscle mass through conscious resistance training as well as ensuring a daily intake of protein levels that are a bit beyond the generally recommended amounts.  He has views, expressed in different chapters of the book, about a wide range of health topics.  I was very impressed by his medical expertise and understanding of how the body works through different stages of life, although for some very good reasons I won't be taking him up on his advice about lifting heavy weights as an exercise regimen.  I plan to devote some time discussing Dr. Attia's ideas on this blog...this is only the first article in that regard.  Sometimes I check out a book from my library and am so impressed with it that I go out and buy it...Outlive is one of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment